Jun 12, 2009

Yellowstone- part 2 Grizzly attack

After the reunion we went up to my grandpa's cabin in West Yellowstone. We got there about 12:30 am and stepping out of the car was such a nostalgic experience. Warm light rain with the sweet smell of sage brush and wild flowers, as the waft of the wood burning fire place absolutely felt like a blanket of memories! Wow, if you could only capture that smell in a bottle...
Well in the morning it was snowing! and for two days the weather cycled from sunshine, rain, hail, light snow, and sunshine. We stacked wood and did a few fix it jobs, ate well as always, went to West Yellowstone for the traditional ice cream and to acquire more rocks for our colorful rock collection. Nate took me on a drive around part of Hebgan Lake and we saw at least 20 Elk in three different spots along the road. Two mother buffalo and their calves were trapped along the fence line until I got the camera and we headed to get close to them, at which point a car scared them and they ran away through the fence. (I should have pics to document all of this but alas...I never think of taking my camera! But I enjoy the blogs of those who do!)

Well there was lots of wild life around and at the end of the trip my brother in law had a bear sighting which was too up close and personal. Paul loves to take walks up behind the cabin; sometimes we go with him but he does much of his exploring on his own. So last Tuesday he was hiking alone with his bear spray, gun, and walking sticks. As he was walking he came around a corner and there, ten feet in front of him, was a grizzly and her cub. He didn't have time to take the top off the bear spray before she was on him. The bear mauled him for a time and then left with her cub. Some how he had the strength to walk how ever far (he said he was way up on his 4-5 mile loop when he was attacked) down to where he could see people and start yelling for help. He had major blood loss, broken bones, and scratches all over. Help was called and he was loaded in an ambulance and taken to the nearest hospital (1 1/2 hours away by speed limit) in Rexburg. He is still there now and is slowly recovering. The bear bit him on the arm breaking his Homerus right below the ball/joint and one break lower down the same bone (from the bear biting into the bone.)I guess it is a hard break to repair. He also got bit on the opposite side which broke two ribs and the bears tooth touched the lung but didn't rupture it. He has a bite on the back of his head but not the neck.(He curled into the fetal position and protected his neck. He has scratches from claws on his chest and the inside of the leg but thankfully not on his face. He could use some prayers and I am giving a bit of description so family can know what happened and not have to call Miriam or Mom at present. ( I just talked to mom and newspapers and tv's want to come get the story but I think they are writing up a statement to give to them. Paul left his walking sticks up where he was attacked and the officials didn't find the sticks but they found tracks and an Elk that was killed and buried in the area. They tracked the bear leaving the area and everyone including Paul understands the bear was just protecting her cub and territory. Paul has been so blessed to be alive and he did all the right things so the bear would walk away. He was prepared for how to handle a bear attack which was a blessing.).

Happy pictures of our trip....
Snow...in June...Yellowstone is naturally tempermental! Nate took a picture just after I missed his head with a snowball.


Chattin with Grandma Great! We so loved spending time with grandma and grandpa.

Wells and the bon fire. He got himself some snowmobile goggles "to keep his eyes from getting hot."




They found a large rock chuck and her babies in the middle of the wood pile. They just worked around the "den."

Paul with little helper Abby.

6 comments:

Camille said...

Thanks for the update. There are lots of versions to this story going around. Everybody is so concerned for Paul and for Miriam's emotions. I was just sick when I heard about this. I am glad he was blessed to be able to come out of it alive. We are all praying for his recovery. We want to know how to help out, but aren't quite sure what's the best thing to do. Call on us if we can do anything!

lissiemarie said...

Thanks Camille! I feel a little guilty because I could have stayed to help mom with Mim's kids. That is the help needed but Shelly's girls have helped mom some which has been great. They initially thought he wouldn't be in the hospital long but that quickly changed with the amount of pain he was dealing with. And with the fear of infection since he has open wounds all over. He said it felt like his whole body was on fire. He has a chest tube where the tooth hole that almost punctured the lung is, it is draining fluid and he said yesterday that was what hurt the worst. He is pretty drugged up at present.

LouandAngela said...

I hope you can keep us updated. We're all praying for them and hope for a speedy and full recovery. What an amazing experience to live through! You can understand why the media is hounding them.

Blake and Sheri said...

Wow! We will keep him in our prayers too!

LouandAngela said...

Any updates on Paul's health? We're praying for them.

Claudia said...

I love all these pictures of the cabin. I miss it!
I think the family should let the media do their thing. It is such big news around here and will teach people about the dangers of the bear. We sort of get used to the fact that we live in bear country and sometimes might get careless. Also good to know that even when you are prepared, as Paul was, they can get the upper hand. More people together or much more noise!
Maybe Miriam and Paul could have a fun trip to New York if they told GMA about this attack. They just as well enjoy the notoriety of it now that Paul is among the living!